Sunday, September 20, 2015

Boozy Dinner - Penne Alla Vodka

Last night, I decided to make a warm and comforting Italian meal: Penne Alla Vodka!


PROS:
  • easy and simple to make
  • you do not have to wait around for 5 hours while it simmers ;-) 
  • 30 minute meal
CONS:
  • carbs
  • heavy cream 

This was my heavy, unhealthy meal for this week. But let me say this: IT WAS SO WORTH IT! Penne alla vodka is also pretty cheap to make, as long as you have booze already in your liquor cabinet. I was able to get the pasta for $.79, canned crushed tomatoes $1.25, onion $.42, garlic $.10, and heavy cream $1.59. I used dried Italian Seasoning herbs that I already have on hand (my spice rack for a future post) and one tablespooon of extra virgin olive oil. Overall, this meal cost me $4.15, at $1.04 per person.

This recipe has been in my family for 16 years or so. My brother got it from a chef from a restaurant that has closed down. Since then, my mom tweaked it and taught me how to make it. I continue to tweak it to suit my taste buds :-P


Penne Alla Vodka

Ingredients:
1 medium sized onion
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large clove of garlic
2 tablespoons dried Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2/3 cup vodka
1 28 oz can crushed red tomatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

1) Cook pasta according to package. Drain and put to the side.


2) Heat olive oil in medium size sauce pan over medium high heat. Chop and dice onion and garlic. First add onion to the sauce pan. Let it cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic, Italian Seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for about 1 minute, constantly sauteing it (you don't want the garlic to burn!).


3) Deglaze the sauce pan with the vodka, scraping the sides of the pan. Let the vodka come to a low simmer for about 3 minutes.


4) Add canned tomatoes, stirring it into the sauce pan. Let the flavors meld for another 5 minutes.

5) Add heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.

                                                     

6) Put sauce on pasta. Add grated Parmesan cheese or chopped flat leaf basil for garnish.      




Happy Cooking!
-Kerri

2 comments: